Thursday, May 13, 2010

I hate leftovers . . .

I'm sure I've probably said that before, but I'm going to reiterate it.  I'm not sure at what point I was spoiled so, but I am.  Not having been fortunate enough yet to find that elusive money-growing tree either, sometimes I need to find a way to make myself eat them rather than letting them go to waste.  For me, that requires I dig deep into the little creative spirit that lives somewhere under all the other practical parts of me.  Last week, I made lasagna using some leftover meatloaf.  Last night, it was potato pancakes.  Okay, so that's not really THAT creative, but it was a crunchy alternative to the soft mashed potatoes we had earlier in the week.  To about 3 cups of leftover mashed potatoes, I added two eggs, about 3 T of flour, S&P to taste, and some finely chopped green garlic (which is a "garlicy" green onion I've been getting from my co-op this season).  A little Pecorino or other cheese of your choice is good in these too. After mixing everything together, I just dropped big tablespoons full into a little bit of olive oil to cook.  The result is a perfectly crunchy exterior, with a fluffly, cloud-like center (which the photo doesn't do justice in capturing). 
My oldest son WAS a little disappointed that "pancakes" last night didn't mean syrup, but he and the other two guys at my house enjoyed them.  They were even making little sandwiches with the pork tenderloin in the middle.


Speaking of pork tenderloins, they are just about my favorite thing to cook.  They are so easy and always moist unless you just really don't tend to them at all . . . my favorite seasoning is McCormick's Grill Seasoning (LOVE that stuff), a little salt and pepper, and some coriander.  Coriander's not used a whole lot in most every day cooking, at least in my experience, but it makes a huge difference on these.  I drizzle the tenderloins with olive oil, sprinkle on the seasonings I mentioned, brown them quickly on the stove, then finish them in a 350 degree oven for about 20 - 25 minutes.  Let the meat rest, of course, then pour the pan juices over after slicing.
The photo also shows the last of the braising greens, I'm afraid, as the spring/summer season at the co-op is in full swing now. I'm so excited to be getting all the new produce though!

No comments: