Friday, April 16, 2010
Fake It Again
1. Leftover Tex-Mex: If you have leftovers from tacos or fajitas, add the meat (steak, chicken, chorizo) into the skillet, toss in some of the peppers and onions, and pour on your eggs. You can add a tablespoon or so of salsa (unless you have kiddos like me and have to add it after-the-fact), and queso fresco, cheddar, or whatever cheese you have on hand. If you like migas, like I do, you can even throw in a few crushed up tortilla chips.
2. Leftover Rotisserie Chicken: Add some red peppers (roasted or not), onions, and swiss cheese.
3. Leftover Mashed Potatoes (if they're a little chunky, anyway): Add to the skillet with any meat and/or cheese of your choice.
4. Leftover Spinach: Feeling vegetarian, you can add spinach, mushrooms, and a little feta or swiss cheese. This combination is also good with bacon though. :-) I often have a couple of pieces of bacon leftover after breakfast, so I put the leftovers in the frig to use later in the week for this dish.
5. Leftover Smoked Salmon: Okay, so I don't usually have leftovers of this just laying around (it usually all finds its way into my tummy with some capers, cream cheese, and bagel chips), but this is a nice "fancy" dish to make if you need to impress someone, or just pamper yourself a little. Dump your eggs in a buttered skillet, sprinkle in chopped salmon, maybe some blanched asparagus, and a few dollops of cream cheese placed on top. Sprinkle with some chives if you have them on hand.
Really, the sky's the limit here. Be creative, try lots of combinations of veggies, meats and cheese (even cottage cheese is a great addition and low-fat protein boost), and let me know what YOUR favorite is!